Current status of UK nationals in Italy. A quick update!
Until the UK leaves the EU (officially March 29, 2019) it remains a full member of the EU and, thus, all the rights and obligations of EU membership remain in force. Therefore, with reference to UK nationals traveling to Italy, living or working in Italy, the above-indicated status of the UK has the following consequences.
Traveling to Italy
- UK nationals can continue to travel freely to Italy, and, in general, within the EU, using a UK passport;
- no visa is needed for UK nationals entering Italy;
- UK nationals can continue to access health care during temporary visits to Italy using the European Health Insurance Card.
UK citizens living and working in Italy
- UK nationals retain their legal status as EU citizens and can continue to work and live in EU countries, including Italy;
- UK nationals can continue to access health care in Italy thanks to the European Health Insurance Card;
- UK nationals can continue to retire and collect their pensions in EU countries.
Therefore, according to the official UK Government website (www.gov.uk), no changes will be made to the rights and status of UK nationals living in Italy while the UK remains in the EU (officially until March 29, 2019).
However, we suggest signing up for official email alerts to receive updates regarding Brexit from the UK Government, as the negotiations between the Uk and the EU continue. n1